Foreign object become lodge in the throat or windpipe, choking cut off oxygen to the brain, administer first aid as quickly as possible.
Sign and symptoms of choking
- Hard to breathe
- Unable to cough
- Possible turning blue
First aid treatment for adult and children (above 1 year old)
1) Quickly ask the victim “are you choking?”
2) If yes, go behind of the victim and perform abdominal thrust.
3)Grasp your fist with your other hand and press your fist into victim’s abdomen with a quick forceful upward thrust.
4) If victim loss consciousness, call 999 for an ambulance and begin CPR.
First aid treatment for choking infant (below 1 year old)
1)Call 999 for an ambulance
2) keep the head lower than the chest, supporting their head and neck then give 5 back blows in between the shoulder blades and 5 chests thrust at the center of the chest just below the nipple line by using 2 fingers.
3) Repeat this until the object is forced out or the infant can be heard to cry.
4) If infant became unconscious, immediately call 999 for an ambulance and begin infant CPR.